Skip to main content

Yom Kippur- Atoning for Assumptions

I took a full time teaching job. Yesterday in a meeting we were discussing how to address homework for the upcoming Jewish high holidays.

I have challenged many assumptions that I grew up with in the realm of education. But sometimes, I just reach back and assume the way things were handled for me was fine.

I blurted out, "the school I grew up in was 1/3 Jewish and honors classes were empty on high holidays but those kids were expected to turn their homework in on time."

I went to an extremely academic high school and the competition for grades was fierce. There was a lot of diversity and my whole adulthood I've been grateful for that experience. It's very grounding in why you don't just assume things at Christmas or why you should consider other perspectives.

I'm still feeling out the new school I work at. Last week, a teacher complained that a student expected homework excused/extended because it had been the student's birthday. She was clearly annoyed and yet, my internal response was, "it's a kid who went to school on a birthday. No homework." I didn't say that though. I knew to shut up. Yet, a high holiday didn't rank the same way in my knee jerk reaction. I settled on telling her I didn't expect my son to go to school on his birthday because he got beat up at school on his birthday in second grade. We moved on.

The room's response to my comment about the high holiday homework was to hold its collective breath, ignore my insensitivity and move on. Should we grant automatic extensions as one person suggested? How many students are impacted another asked. Finally it was agreed that we'd grant extensions to anyone who asked. A faculty member asked how the holidays are celebrated and we had a side chat about it.

I was off from the group on this and knew that they'd been right. I agreed to the solution too eagerly.

I woke up repeatedly last night, ruing my initial reaction.

In high school, I assumed the kids at school didn't care about their religion. I assumed they were having a grand time being off school at the beginning of the year. Their religion, when I was young, was too foreign, too abstract, to realize their experience, to imagine a different religious and cultural reflection.

Tonight begins Yom Kippur. I am not Jewish now, anymore than I was in high school. But I'd like to think I've grown in the empathy department. I've certainly attained more knowledge than I had 20 years ago. Yom Kippur is when Jews atone. So in the spirit of that. I reflect on my own assumptions and biases. I know that I was wrong yesterday. My whole life as a student, my family's biggest holiday, Christmas, the our whole community, our whole country has no school. There is no homework. There are 2 weeks to play and be together. And yet, another community barely gets a day for theirs.

I owe an apology. Reflection is due to every creed and group. Of course any student who asks gets an extension. Respectfully, there should be no other way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home birth- The real fuckin deal

So the end of pregnancy is for the fuckin birds. I'm sure plenty of you out there know this. There's nothing to say but that you're sick of being pregnant. You're a little sick of the sweet smiles and knowing looks from strangers. You're just all over sick of it. You're spectacularly sick of the: when's your due date how far are you are you having a boy or a girl I bet you're sick of this what hospital are you going to, conversations. You miss when people used to ask about the soccer game you played or the book you're reading. You're sick of swollen handsfeetfaceneckanklesEVERYTHING. Oh and from the beginning of pregnancy until FRIDAY, I had NO stretch marks. Friday my entire lower abdomen erupted into one. giant. stretch mark. So all weekend, I thought, please let this be over soon. Every cramp I felt I welcomed and thought, "whatever work my body does now, it doesn't have to do during labor." Little did I know how much

Having Babies at Home

My whole life, I've heard the story of my cousin Anna's birth. And her sister's too. But I hear more about Anna's. My aunt didn't exactly have a lot of love for the medical profession. And her first baby had been a horrible experience. She'd had him wrenched from her at least as much as she "gave him up" for adoption by nursing staff who leered at her and called her unpleasant names. And she loved him when he was born. And she found him when he turned 18 and loved him till the day she died. When she had kids for keeps, she did it differently. She read books and assigned duties and had them at home. She was brave and surely faced many people who disagreed with her decision. But she stuck by her convictions and her desire for a natural birth and won 2 beautiful girls. My mom was there when Anna was born. So was her sister, Kristina. They both still get this sparkle in their eyes whenever they talk about it. My mom says it was one of the most

Dear Book Pimp

So I wrote this book and I think it's pretty decent. That's the feedback I'm getting anyway, which is bitchin' really since I have a degree in Education, NOT writing. Plus, this is my first try, so really I should be happy, right? But, turns out writing the book is maybe the easy part. The publishing is another story. You have to find a Literary Agent. To do this, you have to write a 1-3 page letter to many literary agents to convince them to read a sample chapter. Send it with a Self addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and wait. there's more but I'm already experiencing a high level anxiety just writing about this part. In my letter, I'm supposed to explain who I am, what my book's about, why I'm qualified to write it, why its sicky illy good, who'll read it, and on and on. AHHHHHhhhhh! This shit scares me. Also, I'm supposed to be witty, clever, literary, and junk. Oh and explain a 300 page book in a sales pitch. I'm not a frea