Skip to main content

Sometimes I say dumb stuff

 I feel like I'm always writing about longing,

longing for being a better me, success, better writing, more engagement in my own life

longing to escape my flaws


In person, I lean into my flaws. I call them by name as if to scale them to a height I can tackle. It's often hilarious. I make incredibly funny mistakes. I am likely to put my underwear on inside out and tell you in a disarming moment. I once fell off of a desk in a roomful of 8th graders during a video so the crash was thunderous. I was bleeding. I couldn't even pretend I was like a cat that hadn't just done that.

Last week, I'd had a rough day of sassy backtalk from teenagers at work. This is not common in my relationships with students and I was a little on edge. After school there was a 40 min packed timeframe with my own kids, and to meet it, we'd have to be by-the-minute.

I arrived to get one son and he was not ready, though his teacher had said he would be. I walked into his room, told him to get his stuff and we left. 

A few precious minutes behind, I took him to a quick orthodontist appointment then we continued on to pick up my other son from school. On the drive, he confessed he'd been rejected by a new friend because of swearing at school. I lectured him for a solid five minutes about not swearing at school. We neared his brother's school. As the options for turn-ins approached at the elementary school, I realized I didn't know which door to pick him up from and so was not sure where to turn in. I stopped briefly. 

The car behind me laid on his horn. I waved back vigorously at the angry driver, letting all my fury out through my shaking hand.

He honked repeatedly and rolled his window down, stuck out his hand, and waved a middle finger at me. My window was already down and so I screamed "FUCK YOU" right back at him, releasing a whole day's worth of frustration out.

Yes, moments after telling my other son not to swear at school.

Yes, in front of the staff of the elementary school.

Yes, the principal was out there.

And yes, she heard.

I also heard my cell phone text alert. I pulled over in the pick up section.

The principal, Louise, approached my car and asked what happened. I told her and she just goes, "What was wrong with that guy?" and then added, "I hate covid." And I felt better. But also, that is the best principal ever.

The text message?

A picture from a friend of a bumper sticker that read "I hope you ski better than you drive."

And thank God, I do. I do ski better than I drive. Is it ski season yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Quotes! The GAME

Introducing *drumroll please* Friday Quotes: The Game Apparently people play this game in their heads when they read this anyway so here's your chance to make it interactive. Guess who said each quote. You can post your answers in the comments. The person with the most correct answers gets.... the joy of being right. What? I don't paid for this blog, so you'll have to find self satisfaction wherever you can. Let the Games Begin! 1. "She's so dumb she thinks 'soy milk' is Spanish for 'I am milk'." 2. "Yeah... I didn't sit next to him on spaghetti day." 3. “Its just like when you don’t think about something, you know, and then you think about something.” 4. "What, you're my fucking mom? What, you shat me out of your womb?" 5. “I just had all of this emotion, and it burst forth from my face.” 6. “Chances are if you're reading it and you think its Heath, its probably Heath.” 7. “He drinks whiskey, or Izze, or l...

Friday Quotes!

"You may be unusually energetic today because your key planet Venus received an unexpected wake-up call from electrifying Uranus." "Nationalism does nothing but teach you how to hate people you've never met--all of a sudden you take pride in accomplishments you had no part in whatsoever... " -Doug Stanhope "Drink that, DENVER!" Quiz Results: You are 48% mean "Is the junk yard dog losing her bite?" "Weak!" "F you Karin--your pretty face is going to HELL!" "Yeah it is, I might have had to spit on a homeless person but I got 67%" At the fireworks- "Where would patriotism be without the Chinese?" "The phrase 'I'm not racist but...' should just be replaced with 'I'm racist AND...'" "12 million homeowners and investors will be "underwater"--owing more than their property is worth." "I prefer up-side-down. Makes people sound like they've gone face...

Home birth- The real fuckin deal

So the end of pregnancy is for the fuckin birds. I'm sure plenty of you out there know this. There's nothing to say but that you're sick of being pregnant. You're a little sick of the sweet smiles and knowing looks from strangers. You're just all over sick of it. You're spectacularly sick of the: when's your due date how far are you are you having a boy or a girl I bet you're sick of this what hospital are you going to, conversations. You miss when people used to ask about the soccer game you played or the book you're reading. You're sick of swollen handsfeetfaceneckanklesEVERYTHING. Oh and from the beginning of pregnancy until FRIDAY, I had NO stretch marks. Friday my entire lower abdomen erupted into one. giant. stretch mark. So all weekend, I thought, please let this be over soon. Every cramp I felt I welcomed and thought, "whatever work my body does now, it doesn't have to do during labor." Little did I know how much ...