Skip to main content

Thankful for

 Thankful today

that I am well

that my kids are well

A cup of coffee by myself and snuggled my dogs this morning

when my husband smiles and hugs our son while he stretches on the floor

when our son plays drums

The moment when I said, "oh fuck this" about my son hating math because he already got it and wanted to move on, and we did multiplication instead so he could be challenged by something new

Figuring out how to teach kids with dyslexia to love literature and books

Teaching a gifted boy to play piano and telling him "tough stuff" when he didn't want to do a challenge, the relationship where you can push a kid is gold

Teachers

Teachers who assign their students to take photos of their pets doing homework 

Teachers who do puppet shows on zoom

Teachers who make Tik Toks

Teachers who cry when school goes online

Teachers who love, love, love their kids

Teachers who hug

Teachers who screw up and parents who shut up when they do

Teacher friends

Teacher friends who drink with you at 4:00 and all Thanksgiving weekend 

Teacher friends who want to talk about problem solving and philosophies of education and how to help that one kid you're stuck on

Teacher friends who give you ideas and make you better

Teacher friends who push themselves around the hallways on a chair cart and yell "Wheeee"

Teacher friends who make elaborate costumes and bring everyone together

Teacher friends who tell you it's OK to let something go

Friends who listen when you're sad

Friends who send pictures of their cleavage because it just looked good today

Friends who send weird pictures

Friends who text quotes of awful things that happened with their kids

Friends who write parodies and sing them to you

Friends who go overboard on Halloween and spend a whole day working for 5 minutes of a haunted garage

Neighbors who warn you when there's a bear

Neighbors who don't know your name but do know your dog's

Neighbors who take my kids and me climbing

Neighbors who have ax throwing in their backyard

Neighbors who bring you homemade jelly

Neighbors who buy your kids school fundraiser stuff

Neighbors who loan you tools

Neighbors who pay your kids to mow their lawn

Neighbors who pet-sit when you go out of town

Watching the neighbor who almost died for a year plow the driveway of the neighbor whose daughter did die

Leaving a painted beer on a stranger's doorstep on Easter and knowing he doesn't know who did it

The dog that I see on the drive in to work that bounces and makes me happy in the morning

My pinky healing so I can play piano again

My knee not hurting and the hope that gives me of avoiding another knee surgery

People who give away nice free stuff on Craigslist and the opportunity for a bathroom remodel on the cheap

Unexpected gifts

Movie nights and doritos with my sons

Kids who are readers

Libraries to supply their demands

Audio books and safe travels

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home birth- The real fuckin deal

So the end of pregnancy is for the fuckin birds. I'm sure plenty of you out there know this. There's nothing to say but that you're sick of being pregnant. You're a little sick of the sweet smiles and knowing looks from strangers. You're just all over sick of it. You're spectacularly sick of the: when's your due date how far are you are you having a boy or a girl I bet you're sick of this what hospital are you going to, conversations. You miss when people used to ask about the soccer game you played or the book you're reading. You're sick of swollen handsfeetfaceneckanklesEVERYTHING. Oh and from the beginning of pregnancy until FRIDAY, I had NO stretch marks. Friday my entire lower abdomen erupted into one. giant. stretch mark. So all weekend, I thought, please let this be over soon. Every cramp I felt I welcomed and thought, "whatever work my body does now, it doesn't have to do during labor." Little did I know how much

Having Babies at Home

My whole life, I've heard the story of my cousin Anna's birth. And her sister's too. But I hear more about Anna's. My aunt didn't exactly have a lot of love for the medical profession. And her first baby had been a horrible experience. She'd had him wrenched from her at least as much as she "gave him up" for adoption by nursing staff who leered at her and called her unpleasant names. And she loved him when he was born. And she found him when he turned 18 and loved him till the day she died. When she had kids for keeps, she did it differently. She read books and assigned duties and had them at home. She was brave and surely faced many people who disagreed with her decision. But she stuck by her convictions and her desire for a natural birth and won 2 beautiful girls. My mom was there when Anna was born. So was her sister, Kristina. They both still get this sparkle in their eyes whenever they talk about it. My mom says it was one of the most

Dear Book Pimp

So I wrote this book and I think it's pretty decent. That's the feedback I'm getting anyway, which is bitchin' really since I have a degree in Education, NOT writing. Plus, this is my first try, so really I should be happy, right? But, turns out writing the book is maybe the easy part. The publishing is another story. You have to find a Literary Agent. To do this, you have to write a 1-3 page letter to many literary agents to convince them to read a sample chapter. Send it with a Self addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and wait. there's more but I'm already experiencing a high level anxiety just writing about this part. In my letter, I'm supposed to explain who I am, what my book's about, why I'm qualified to write it, why its sicky illy good, who'll read it, and on and on. AHHHHHhhhhh! This shit scares me. Also, I'm supposed to be witty, clever, literary, and junk. Oh and explain a 300 page book in a sales pitch. I'm not a frea