Goodreads

Karin Mitchell's books on Goodreads
Between Families Between Families
reviews: 5
ratings: 8 (avg rating 4.75)

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Shhhhh

I can't sleep
My mind won't
Sshhhhhh...
It flits
from problem to solution
thoughts' corpses pile up
ideas dismissed
and dead
to-do lists and inspirations alike
layered,
litter
the same
p
i
l
e
.
Some flicker so shortly
they're hardly formed
before miscarried away.
The best poems' lines
d r i f t by
in invisible ink.
They float off to dreams
to die,
beautiful thoughts stolen away.
The night nabs it all
Takes my broken to-do list
and why do I not shake its hand?
when I wake to a blank day,
why am I not grateful
when the clock crows
"Merry Christmas"
and the phone rings
says "I fixed your list!
It just needed some fleshing out
and more time."

Instead, I
stuff the pillow over my head
and look for the snooze button.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Ohmigosh....I like this. Miscarried away, thoughts' corpses...oh! So good.

Kelly said...

Your poetry makes me contemplate life and stuff. My head now has a crack in it.

Thanks.